Re: flaws

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:56:58 -0000

> It seems to me that flaws get less and less relevant as the Hero
>gets more powerful yet,

In my game, most PC's are in this moment a sort of antiheros, so, flaws are very important.

They like to roll flaws (specially personality traits) as Ability Tests, to see if some effect happens. So, if someone is "coward" and he has to decide what to do in some dangerous situation, the player propose to roll with his flaw. I don't like to impose decisions to my players but normally they have the iniciative in those things. I have allowed a too-much-broad flaw: Bad Luck 13 (for the eurmali character), and we use it as in Murphy Law, if we thought that something bad could happen to the PC, we roll (avoiding too much rolls, choosing the situations apropiates for the story, and normally, not always, without resistance). In ability tests there is no resistance, so flaws are relevant althought the PC is powerful.

Of course, I also use flaws in Simple Contests against the PC's abilities. In that cases if the hero became powerful the flaw is less relevant. But some players want to "improve" their relevant and important flaws. Sometimes I improve the character's flaw because the events of the story. Their enemy is really angered so the "enemy relationship" improves.

I plan that the antiheros could become real Heros, because the events of HeroWars could change people, so I expect some flaws became less relevant, but I don't know what will happen (it depends of the players).

>I'm thinking they should be tied to the highest ability in the same
>way followers are

It depends of the context, so I prefer a more flexible approach. Sometimes a flaw could be tied to an ability as in the strong man in the herocult.

BTW, as the flaws are important in my game, I would like to know differents ways of using then in the rules, I have mentioned:

-Ability Contest for a simple effect.
-Simple Contest against hero abilities (and sometimes against any other's)

Any other ideas? I'm thinking in flaws augmenting resistance or as penalties for the hero's abilities (weak?), but I'm not sure how to deal with that. For example, trolls have a negative penalty at daylight in AR, but a flaw in Uz the trolls of Glorantha (is posible an automatic penalty for a flaw?).

Regards,

Antonio