Re: flaws

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 22:09:01 -0000

Flaws are a bit weak as has been pointed out. As the character grows their flaws become progressively weaker in comparison to the skills.

There are, I suppose, some options for progressing flaws...

Each time a flaw is used/triggered you increase it by 1. (could be a fast progression) (in this case I would suggest the increases can be cancelled at the end of a session by expending a HP, so if you activated a flaw 3 times during the session you would have +3, but you could cancel them all by spending a HP)

Each time a flaw is effective you increase it by 1 (or more).

Each session a flaw is NOT used in a session, increase it by 1.

Remove numerical ratings from flaws, treat all flaws as having a certain value merely for buy off purposes. Resolve contests and effects via some other system... like assigning flaws as if they were resistances, and adjudicate a resistance as required.

Use flaws to fully add to opposing values, so if you have a flaw 15 you add +15 to whatever is being used to oppose the action. So trying to do simple things would remain possible, but difficult things would get very nasty. Fear of Rubble Runners, they get +15 to their CC roll, nasty rubble runners....

This last one is the one I like and will probably adopt into my game. It gives the players a good incentive to buy off flaws as they will have a significant effect.

Kevin F