Re: Secondary Magic Effects.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 11:00:07 -0800

epweissengruber

> * Do sorcerors have the same pyrotechnics that accompany theistic
> magic?

Traditionally in my games, no. They have DIFFERENT pyrotechnics. In the past, I used visuals to describe RuneQuest spirit magic (a sword augmented with Bladesharp would hit with a shower of magical sparks). Divine magic was sort of "atmospheric" (strokes of Humath's Truesword would cause swirls of dust or dead leaves to be picked up from the ground nearby). And sorcery was more audible (a waiting army, with magically augmented armor, would have a hum like an electrical power station, and when it repelled a sword blow, it might scream like a high-speed saw on metal).

And in King of Dragon Pass, good Orlanthi magic is always a blue flame, while evil sorcerous magic is some other color, like green. (Lunar magic is of course red.)

(Mike Dawson:

> I've always maintained (since before I wrote the Arlaten stuff)
> that sorcery is invisible except and unless it is actively DOING
> something.

This might have influenced me in making sorcery more sound-based. I think it's important that it be different, but I think it needs some form of theatrics.

It's never been relevant in my games, but if any form of magic is not detectable, it'd be mysticism.)

> * Do sorcerors ever benefit from elemental advantages. That is to
> say, does a sorceror using Grimoire "Book of the Triumphant Sun" get
> the same boost against a Xiola Umbar magician that a follower of
> Elmal would get?

I don't see why not -- the Malkioni recognize runes and elements.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>