Re: Changes from HeroWars to HeroQuest

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:51:00 -0700

Oliver

> I need animism unfortunately since one of the characters follows
> Waha. Looks like I'm
> going to have to wait since I can't tell what the differences are
> between all the types of common magic, i.e. who has them, how they
> get them, etc., etc.

The revised animism rules are in the spirit of the old ones, but substantially different. (Integration, for example, isn't mentioned, though I'm sure it still exists somewhere in Glorantha.)

As I read the rules, anyone can have any sort of common magic. Yes, there's a list of talents for Heortlings, but those are merely suggestion, and what most people will have. Player heroes aren't "most people" and IMO pick any 5 magics they want. Whether they call them talent, feat, spell, or charm doesn't much matter unless they end up concentrating their magic, because any of them will be usable only to augment.

So the over-simplified version:

Pick 5 magical effects that can give you a +2 augment. They're all part of your Common Magic keyword at 17, and can be raised separately for double cost.

> These are well-established characters so it's not at all unlikely
> that they're going to have more than one type of magic.

It may actually be the other way around, and Dave would know how this worked in his HQ playtest. I'm not sure how players will make the tradeoff. At lower levels, I think the option of having more magic available, and a broader selection (e.g. a Humakti could have killing magic from Humakt and use common magic for healing) will mean that people won't specialize.

But at higher levels your common magic skills might start to lag, and if they're thus less useful, you'd specialize (concentrate) in theistic magic (or animism, for your Waha-ist).

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>