Re: Re: Changes from HeroWars to HeroQuest

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:24:46 +0100

Let me think out loud on this, as I'm somewhat in the dark on this area. (Especially due to having a supplement that refers to common magic for a game that (presumably) defines it, that's not out yet.)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:51:00AM -0700, David Dunham wrote:
> As I read the rules, anyone can have any sort of common magic. Yes,
> there's a list of talents for Heortlings, but those are merely
> suggestion, and what most people will have. Player heroes aren't
> "most people" and IMO pick any 5 magics they want. Whether they call
> them talent, feat, spell, or charm doesn't much matter unless they
> end up concentrating their magic, because any of them will be usable
> only to augment.

Let's suppose our Hypothetical Healing Humakti(TM) 'calls' his healing common magic 'feats', then, to pick up on your own example.

> But at higher levels your common magic skills might start to lag, and
> if they're thus less useful, you'd specialize (concentrate) in
> theistic magic (or animism, for your Waha-ist).

So what does 'concentration' mean exactly, for our HHH? That he has to drop all non-theistic magic, and can therefor keep common magic feats of any kind? Or something stronger, like dropping all common magic, or all non-Humakt magic?

(It must be said that 'concentrated' magic sounds very much like the old rules for misapplication, but in a somewhat more glass-is-half-full, let's-call-the-thralls-oathguests sort of slant to the terminology (which is at least a partial improvement IMO).)

Cheers,
Alex.