Re: Bumps and shoves

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:08:36 EDT

Reinerd:
<<Also, what's wrong with letting PCs use HPs as get out of jail cards?>>

Nothing really, but my preference is for situations where, if the player has Hero Points, he cannot fail. It seems to me that high ability is what stops you failing, Heroic-ness makes you fail in ways that might still achieve your objective.

<< If they are doing something truly egregious, like I dunno wandering
 around town killing everyone then you can always solve the problem by  throwing more enemies at them in the next session. If they are simply  using HPs to save their skin against tougher opponents, well, isn't  that "being heroic"? >

Saving someone else's skin is being Heroic. Saving your own is being cowardly/pragmatic/sensible. (IMO). I might be in this state of mind through recently reading some of the Trojan War in which Heroes do spectacular heroic fighting but still seem to end the day wailing and making funeral pyres and being miserable.

Keith