Re: Re: Bumps and shoves

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 09:08:01 +0100 (BST)

> Jane said:
>
> > I can think of situations where I'd like to be
> able to
> > use a HP or two to say "OK, I defeat my opponent.
> And
> > I die doing it." Despite not actually having
> enough AP
> > to do this.

> I'd probably allow it - not so much "I defeat my
> opponent, then die", but
> "I'm dying, but rather than try to get back in the
> game I'll sacrifice
> myself grab the bad guy and fall into the vat of
> molten steel

Yeah, that sort of thing.

> after all, it might *not* fit the
> story for the world to be saved just because someone
> was willing to
> sacrifice himself - falling on the nuclear bomb
> doesn't have the same effect
> as falling on a hand grenade.

And even if the proposed action would physically work, the Recurring Villian might *have* to escape for the next scenario to have a plot! (In which case, as a player, I'd have nothing against the GM telling me just that. I wouldn't let my character know.)

> As far as rolling the final action, will it spoil
> the climax to blow the
> roll? How will your sacrificing player feel when you
> say "Oh, you didn't
> make your grab roll? And you are out of AP? So
> sorry, you fall into the vat
> of molten steel and die instantly.

As a player: been there, done that, very unhappy. (Not this system, not this universe, but the principle applies anywhere). As a GM: yes, it's happened (again, different universe), but I fudged the die rolls.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer