Re: Re: Re: Bumps and shoves

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:34:27 -0500

>From: "Peter Tracy" <bachelornewtling_at_...>

>Wouldn't TROS Spiritual attributes act more like Personality Augments...
>apart from Luck which can be burned like HP? Mechanically speaking.

I suppose in most cases. But that's my point. They would be augmenters most of the time, but with a secondary effect that they could be used to roll against themselves for this special application. Improves on both TROS and HW.

>I Love TROS... but never want to get a PC into a fight. Too Deadly.

A character with only 3 dice more than his opponent should be able to take an opponent fairly consistently, given players of approximately equal skill using the rules (I always advocate that a GM should play down a bit to his player's level if he's much better than they are). Given that SAs often give you that 3 dice swing or more, you're good to go in fights as long as your character is doing something that he really cares about. Which is the cool thing about TROS.

To bring this back on topic. This is also what's cool about HW. If you trow a big opponent at a player he can still sometimes win as long as the battle plays to the character's odd Ability scores with which he can augment.

In both games, the selected SAs or Abilities act as an indicator on the player's part on what the player wants to see in terms of conflict for the character. It's an fun and easy technique to simply pander to these statments. Does a player have a Relationship Ability? Threaten the NPC. Instant plot, simple as pie.

Mike