RE: Re: HW mechanics

From: Ross McPhee <ross_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:40:43 +0100

Wulf and I clearly interpret the rules very differently - nothing wrong with that, ambiguity is a designed in feature and so this sort of thing is bound to happen.

> to deal with a shield-breaker manoeuvre, I intend to use the 7AP=Wound
> rule.

I think the rules say that only the loser can choose to accept a wound in exchange for 7AP. (I accept that you could be saying that this is a "special case" as I proposed for berserkers.)

> If your stated intention is 'Smash his shield' {notes on edges etc.
follow}
In my opinion if your stated intent is to 'Smash his shield' if you win the contest (extended or simple dependant upon narrative importance) then you've smashed his shield! He dazed, hurt, dying as appropriate but the shield is gone.

> (with all the talk of HW appearing in the UK I hope to get mine
> Saturday...)

Got mine - how come UK players seems to getting theirs before everyone else (or do we just crow louder)?

> Same applies to 'Shield Breaker' Feats
IMO 'Shield Breaker' Feat should be used to augment close combat skill as per normal rules.

> and attacks aimed at 'I'll break his damn leg!'
Close combat with improvisation penalty - win the contest the leg is broken (extent of fracture dependant upon final AP score as per normal rules).

> or 'I'll disarm him'

Ditto, but you've disarmed him rather than broken his leg - if you've damaged him in the process "Oh dear! What a pity. Never mind". How much you damage him depends a lot on whether you take the parting shot.

> use Wounds

Again wounds can only accepted by loser not inflicted by the winner.

I'm not criticising Wulf but it seems to me that you're inventing lots of extra special little rules to handle every combat eventuality. That must suit your groups style of play but my lot could never remember all the little fiddly bits. Nor could I - we drink quite a lot while roleplaying :) That's the thing I most like about HW, one contest system works for everything. No need to fumble for the Pendragon rule book after 4 hours of play, a bottle of wine and a couple of pints of Pedigree just to find out how you double feint.

Cheers

Ross

PS How do you double feint in HW anyway? Mmm... easy if it's listed as a skill or feat but what if the player just wants to do it anyway?