Re: Re: Augments?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:21:37 +0100

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:02:24PM -0000, Jeff wrote:
> No problem! I was being a little bit bit facetious. In the augment
> thing, it may be that the pendulum has swung the other way (towards
> non-magical augments) too far.

I'd have something of that concern too. Best argument I have against this is Martin Laurie's argument in favour of it(!); to wit, that one should _obviously_ routinely be able to augment one's CC with strong, fast, iron-teethed, etc, etc, in Every Single Combat. Though at least AAs would streamline this a bit.

I think I'll continue to use roughly the same rule of thumb I do now; is there something sufficiently distinctive and non-routine enough to make narrative sense (and hopefully to make the story more interesting); if a combo starts to become 'routine', I'm more likely to start to think that it really ought to be 'folded into' the main ability in question. (Especially if it's a bunch of penny-ante augments to a much larger ability, which is just flaunting the "non-linear" syndrome...)

Cheers,
Alex.