Re: Re: HQ Common Magic question and Augments

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 01:33:12 +0100

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:27:40PM -0400, Dave Camoirano wrote:
> On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 08:15 AM, Julian Lord wrote:
>
> > But my basic assumption is that I'd probably let Heroes use
> > Common Magic abilities as straight abilities, and let Initiates
> > do the same. Of course, I'd want such ability use to be justified.
>
> Common magic abilities can be used as abilities if you concentrate in
> CM.

The more I hear about Common Magic (which still isn't a lot, mind you) the less sense it makes to me in game world terms...

What does it mean (in Gloranthan terms) to be concentrated in Common Magic? Are there any previously-known exemplars of such? Is this concept being introduced to explain any person or group in particular, that were too different or exotic or tricky to describe before? Or are we wandering into "what the heck" game-mechanic-attack territory here?

IIUC, 'talents' are now regarded as being CM rather than Animist; is this just terminology, or are some peoples or individuals previously regarded as being animist, now being treated as common-magicians? (Or whatever the correct noun would be.) I suppose I could imagine say, hsunchen, and/or some martial arts types being looked at this way. But that's just stabbing around in the dark -- anyone provide any actual light?