Re: Re: HQ Common Magic question and Augments

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 00:00:12 -0400

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 08:33 PM, Alex Ferguson wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:27:40PM -0400, Dave Camoirano wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 08:15  AM, Julian Lord wrote:
> >
> > > But my basic assumption is that I'd probably let Heroes use
> > > Common Magic abilities as straight abilities, and let Initiates
> > > do the same. Of course, I'd want such ability use to be justified.
> >
> > Common magic abilities can be used as abilities if you concentrate in
> > CM.
>
> The more I hear about Common Magic (which still isn't a lot, mind you)
> the less sense it makes to me in game world terms...
>
> What does it mean (in Gloranthan terms) to be concentrated in Common
> Magic?

Common magic is a specific type of magic just like theistic or animist. Each type of magic has a source. Theistic magic comes from the god plane, animist from the spirit plane and common magic from the mundane plane. Just as concentrating in theistic magic means giving up all non-theistic magic, concentrating in common magic means giving up all non-common magic. The main benefits of this is being able to use common magic as an ability instead of only as an augment.

> Are there any previously-known exemplars of such?

Sort of. The Seven Mothers is now a common magic religion.

> Is this
> concept being introduced to explain any person or group in particular,
> that were too different or exotic or tricky to describe before?

I believe the main idea was to bring back the RQ experience of varied magic. In RQ, you had your god's magic which was very specific and only followers of your god received that magic. However, everyone had access to healing, bladesharp, protection, etc. This was "common magic".

> Or are we wandering into "what the heck" game-mechanic-attack
> territory here?

I don't think so. The last version I saw (just before going to layout so no major changes) made a lot of sense and worked well.

> IIUC, 'talents' are now regarded as being CM rather than Animist;  is
> this just terminology, or are some peoples or individuals previously
> regarded as being animist, now being treated as common-magicians?

Just terminology. For the most part, animists no longer integrate spirits. Don't worry, they're not weaker.

Camo