Re: Re: Close Combat

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 13:07:02 -0400

Hi!

On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 12:10 PM, Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo wrote:

> > Your game obviously varies, but it was never a rules crock in our
> > games (which include rules minimaxers).
>
> Neither in my games. Personally, I'm very happy with the current,
> broad, 'Close Combat' ability. I'm not sure if the new approach is
> better, I have to wait for reading the HQ, but, at first glance, I
> prefer a single Close Combat ability.

It really turns out to not be significantly different in play. There is no broad CC skill because it was never really necessary to begin with. In HW, if you had a character with CC of 5W and only had a listed style of spear and shield, you'd take an improv penalty to anything else depending on how different the new style is. For instance, spear only might be -5 but maul would probably be -20. This is the same in HQ (and HQ lists examples which I don't have handy at the moment.)

The difference is that in HW, CC takes 3 HP to improve by +1 while in HQ Spear and Shield takes 1 HP. In my experience, players tend to favor a single combination and only use others when they can't use their primary. So this may make the minimaxers happy but won't dramatically change the game by itself except maybe to give players more HP to spend on things other than combat :-)

Camo