Calculating HQ combat odds

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:35:22 -0000

Does anyone have a calculator, or table showing the odds for various outcomes for a Simple Contest, given two characters with known ability ratings?

The reason I'm asking is I'm working on a play by email game set in Glamour, but based on En Garde. One aspect of the game is that players can sponsor, and bet on gladiatorial comats at the Games. Therefore I need a way to calculate the basic gambling odds for ach contest, given the gladiator's Close Combat abilities.

I don't need exactly correct odds, it doesn't matter too much if the players can get a slight edge from doing a more detailed analysis of the odds for each contest, and in any case there are going to be rules for spiking, augmenting, etc your favourite gladiator to beat the odds. However I need a convenient automatable way of determining the rough odds.

Best regards,

Simon Hibbs