Re: Re: Close Combat

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:16:11 -0400

Hi!

> --- In hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, "simon_hibbs2"
> <simon.hibbs_at_m...>
> wrote:
>
> > > Flight 17 (Fly Fast +1, Fly Far, Fly Funkily)
> >
> > And presumaly, If the next session I choose to upgrade my
> > Flight to 18, I can do it for 2 points and rub out the +1
> > next to Fly Fast?

Not as written. You've purchased the +1 bonus to Fly Fast and it stays. You'd pay 3 HP to increase Flight to 18 but you'd still have the +1 to Fly Fast.

> The problem arises, of course if I have
> Flight 17 (Fly Fast +1, Fly Far, Fly High, Fly Funkily)
> in which case it is not quite so immediately obvious that
> spending
> two points (to raise 2 feats) is "the same as" spending
> three points,
> with a discount of 1 for the feat already raised.

Exactly. When becoming a Devotee, you get three feats for each affinity right off the bat. In my experience, most players don't stop there. Raising the affinity by 1 is much more "cost effective" than paying up the individual feats if you're buying up multiple individual feats.

> Of course it's not "the same" since a character with
> Flight 17 (Fly
> Fast +10, Fly Far +10, Fly High +10) will have much less chance of
> improvising a "Hover" feat than a character with Flight
> 7W (Fly fast,
> Fly Far, Fly High).

This is very true but I doubt this situation would ever happen in actual gameplay. Generally, a hero will buy up only one or two individual feats to specialize (if at all). Jalvern Spithorn is a prime example (with his Sunset Leap at +10 or something like that).

Camo