Re: Close Combat

From: Josh Reynolds <haji98109_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 04:05:36 -0000

>>Well the phrase 'broad skill' is as far as I know something coming
>>out of a Tentacles panel and never appearing in HW.

>(I was unsure which the original author meant, I must say.)

Yes, sorry. Upon rereading HW I realize I've dragged in some concepts from other games (your Fudge is in my Hero Wars!).

There is a paragraph (HW p. 22) that talks about broad skills, but it is not a game-rule category in any way.

I guess what I was getting at is how is CC any different from "Smart" or "Well Read"? Broad skills like that are nearly always used with an improv modifier, right? Is HQ singling out CC, or is it suggesting you guide your players toward narrower skills in general? After all, the player can always write "skilled with all weapons" in their description - it's up to the narrator to deal with that.

Josh