Re: Digest Number 54

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 06:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

please excuse me for not including the original posts--the digest exceeds my reply to buffer and they were losts.

Regarding powergaming GMs:
I would like to second the point made by someone about the group of friends situation. I think the majority of the on-line talk about games comes from those who circulate in the wider gaming community, but I expect the majority of sales, and certainly the ever needed fresh blood, comes from groups of friends. Often they may all love gaming, but none of them may be an experienced or close to ideal GM. Doesn't mean you can't have fun, though! I do worry that HW may not be as accessible to that sort of group. (Then again, once upon a time, we had good times playing Space Opera with an adversial GM, which for those of you who have memories going back that far goes to show that it is the quality of the people, not the rules or the play style, that makes for a fun game).

Regarding shield breaking, etc: It seems to me far simpler to treat this with AP points. Not having seen the movie in question, I'll make up my own example. Axe wielding Uroxi is getting frustrated by the Yelmalioid hiding behind a large door, errr shield and poking at him with pointy things.
Uroxi: "I cut his blasted spear in two! 7 AP bid!" GM: I think that is too low--this is a major risk since you have to ignore him for a moment to attack the spear." Uroxi: "how about 12?" GM: "sounds about right." He rolls well and succeeds. GM: "Your shift in targets surprises him, and with a single swing you cut apart his spear right behind the reinforcing bands." Yelmelioid takes an action and pulls out a smaller pokey thing.
Uroxi: "Now I start cutting my way through his shield. First I'll cut it to kindling, then him! 12 AP again." He fails this time. GM "You just lodged your axe in his shield."
Yelmelioid makes a successful role. GM "He wrenches his shielf and jerks the axe right out of your hands."

....and on the exchange goes. The Uroxi could simply roll as normal, and if he succeeds he obviously got his axe free. Or he could could use his "strong" ability instead to wrench it free. Or maybe he tries to use the axe to pull the shield away from his opponent, or....

I think the point is, the AP system is supposed to roll in all those dramatic things that happen in fights. Sure, it includes standing toe to toe exchanging blows, but it also includes all the throwing sand in the opponents face, disarming them, diving for your own sword on the floor, locking hilts then smashing his nose in with your other fist sort of thing that they love in the movies. I don't think you need special rules for Zorro to cut the "Z" in his opponents shirt, it is still an AP bid.

At least, that is how I look at it. It's all part of the fight. Avoiding all sorts of fiddly detail special case rules will let the fight run fast and furious, hopefully.

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/