Re: Re:guns

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 23:06:40 +0100

Toksickburn_at_... wrote:

> For automatic fire i made up this rule:
>
> A magazine consists of 30 bullets.
>
> -short burst (20% of magazine)-double damage=bonus of +3 (up to range)
>

> -long burst (50% of magazine)-damage times five
> -whole magazine (100% of magazine)-damage times ten

Using the HW mechanics, you need rules for gun ammunition in the same way that you need rules for the content of archers' quivers. That is to say, not at all.

A Target Number is not a To Hit chance, and Action Points are not Hit Points.

Someone else has already suggested using Edges for guns. If a gun's capability to do automatic fire makes it more deadly, just give it a bigger Edge.

Spraying bullets around might increase your chance of hitting and the damage you do. But you might just waste ammunition, or make the gun jam. Spraying bullets can be simulated using high AP bid.

The HW/HQ core mechanics are very simple, yet very powerful. It is surprising that no new rules are necesary when playing in a different setting. Last night we played a 1930s set super hero game using HW/HQ; the only 'special' rules were the relevant keywords.