Group simple contests

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:39:01 -0000

In a group simple contest both sides roll vs ?what?...

If your group is fighting a group of generic nomads with combat skill 10w, then obviously they roll vs that.

But what if that group is being lead by a warrior of 10w2, what do the players roll against?

Do you pick the best singles on either side and set the values there? If there is a significant difference between the leaders and followers then the largest group would be at a disadvantage as they would get more failures (each failure giving -3).

In my player group the Issaries trader would fail as he has no where near the combat skills, so would drag the party down?

Likewise if you had a sorceror they would prefer to use magic skill, but vs who or what in the other party? What if the party is lead by a sorceror but the enemy is lead by a warrior? would it be resolved as:

Sorceror with magic vs ?
Party warriors with CC vs ?
Enemy leader with CC vs ?
Enemy followers with CC vs ?

Another method I tried was to use the best single of either side and let the rest augment that person, then roll as a simple contest.