Re: Secondary skills

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:22:17 -0400

Hi!

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 10:46 PM, flynnkd2 wrote:

<snip>
> They all then complained that the
> poison was too strong for the party to handle...
>
> Which raises the question, as a mastery difference is so big in HW,
> I tend to rate my monsters vs the ratings of my players. But if the
> trend continues the players will get to 5w3 CC and still be at 20
> Tough... so my monsters with poison will be around 5w3 in CC but
> their poison in comparison will be really low to allow the players
> to survive...
>
> I have pointed out to my players that this is their own fault,
> because of the way they have developed their characters

I agree with you 110%. Yes, the poison was too strong for them to handle but that wasn't *your* fault.

> one
> response was that by concentrating on CC he would kill his opponents
> first or never get hit...

And if this tactic doesn't work? Depending on a single ability, in any game (or even in life, really) is always a bad idea.

> he tends to go for big AP bids and tries
> to knock out enemies with one or two big hits.

And on the off chance this doesn't work? What if they're captured and bound? Strong would be nice to try to break the bindings and would have also helped with combat as an augment. How about Contortionist to be able to wiggle out of the ropes but would help in other situations where stealth was called for?

> I was just looking for opinions on this, mainly to assauge my guilt
> at wanting to kill them all with poison just to prove my point that
> they should have spread their HPs around a bit more...

Well, I don't know if killing them all would be necessary to prove your point but I think that you did the right thing by bringing to their attention that high CC won't solve everything. Orlanth said "Violence is always an option" but Ernalda said "There's always another way."

Camo