Re: Secondary skills

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:33:04 +0100

>My players are concentrating mainly on improving their combat
>skills, and consequently letting other skills lapse.

<snip>

>I was just looking for opinions on this, mainly to assauge my guilt
>at wanting to kill them all with poison just to prove my point that
>they should have spread their HPs around a bit more...

Trying to show players the error of their ways is one option, but I suspect that for many long running groups the current rules are a bit inbalanced. I've suggested a house rule of "improving skills cost one hero point per mastery already in the skill, minimum one." This makes putting up lower skills comparatively cheap, and should encourage some spreading of the hero points. The other option would be to adopt the rule from HeroQuest (also suggested here) that hero points must be spent in proportion to the time commitments the character has. A devotee must spend 60% of hero points on his affinities, mythology of god, etc.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson