RE: Secondary skills

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:40:37 +0100

Alex writes:

> I'd suggest a simple rule of thumb: by what standard is the
> character apparently _seeking_ to be judged? ... Hopefully, in
> other words, ways can be found to challenge the characters that
> make the players think "hrm, good point, I need to beef up
> there", rather than "hey, not fair, dirty pool!"

Boy, that's good advice!

On a slightly different note, from the Greydog Campaign, when my character Thorgeir rose to become a Weaponthane on the clan ring (having previously been a farmer / hunter / adventurer type), there was a quick flurry of HP spending in which I made sure I had either (at least) entry-level abilities, or the equivalents, or failing that a damn good excuse for *not* possessing them, in everything you'd expect from the Weaponthane and Starkval keywords... just to avoid being caught on the hop like that (and dismissed for incompetence early in my new career).

Cheers, Nick