Re: "Natural" abilities

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:09:46 -0700

> I'm planning a HeroQuest campaign for once the book shows up at my
> doorstep and the players all want to be non-standard races (it's not
> set in Glorantha). One race has chameleon abilities (they can blend
> in with their background).
>
> How does that work in terms of:
>
> Is it a Talent or just an Ability?

How is it described in the story? Is this a magical ability, or a natural changing of skin colors & patterns? Does everyone have it at birth or is it something you can chose not to learn? Is it natural and instinctive or require thought to trigger?

Magical, Chose not to have it, Require thought, I lean towards a Magical Talent.
Natural, Instinctual, everyone has it from birth, I lean towards an Ability like an Uz's Darksense or a WindChild's Flight.

> If it's a Talent, does it count against you for the purposes of
> concentrating your magic in, say, Animism?

Probably not. Unless you want to cripple (or at least, make difficult for everyone in that culture), I'd say that it is as much a part of the magical nature of the culture/species as Seeing is to humans.

But go where the story takes you!

RR
- Richelieu