RE: Superheroes

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:31:26 +0100

On Monday, July 14, 2003 7:06 PM, Kevin Blackburn wrote:

> If nothing else, I'd work out a precise relationship between measures
> such as speed and distance in real world units (miles, etc.) and the
> ability ratios. HeroWars seems to usually believe in a +5 is a doubling,
> you seem to loosely have doubling at +W - whatever, I suggest you stick
> rigidly to the ratios, rather than use tables and approximations.

I did think about this but decided to keep to approximations. I found that, in play, it was useful to have some "wiggle room" and partly it's to emulate the rubber physics of the genre. Playing fast and loose just seemed to work better for me.

I chose the rates at which the scales increase partly to try to get a reasonable progression at the elite human/superhuman boundary while still getting to the nice big top ends that I wanted to simulate on a 10-mastery scale. For certain things, like Strength, etc. I was looking at how the scales in a number of other supers systems and settings progress and top out.

> Sometime I must edit and post a short essay on what I think the ratios
> might be trying to say about "contest" skills, such as close combat.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be interested to see it.

Regards,

Bruce