Re: Re:Superheroes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:47:46 -0700

> Yeah, "School Education" isn't *quite* right as it implies that you never
went
> to college or university. Perhaps one of the following might work better:
>
> * General Education
> * General Knowledge (I don't like this, though - too broad)
> * Educated
> * [Something I Haven't Thought Of]

Well, education above High School/First year of college is less likely to be general knowledge as much as specific Sciences (If you count things like "Management" to be a science...). I'd go with "General Education", with the rating reflecting the grades the hero got in school (or at least, how much he paid attention in class). College degrees work the same way - a BA in "Medieval History" would be rated to represent how much the student studied/how he graduated. A 17 would represetn a C average (for Americans). The farther the question is from "Medieval History", the larger a penalty - Knowing who founded the 19th Dynasty in Egypt might take a -10 ("That's ancient history", he sniffs), while knowing who the Incan Emperor was in 1375 would take a mastery hit (Precolombian History). Less specialized info would be takencare of by "General History" - who was the President during the American Civil War, When was the Declaration of Independence signed, etc. (Of, course, I'm giving an awful lot of credit to modern students...)

> Oh, it's often an education! Quite what it's an education *in* is another
> matter. :)
> I still think I'd assume that this is part of [Your Country] Culture - I
think
> I will change "Customs" to "Culture" and save a specific skill in TV
watching
> for people who do it to a particularly great degree - children? the
unemployed?
> other people who are at home all day?

As long as you allow people to *not* take it - I haven't watched more than an hour of TV a week in over a month...

Yep, not only do I not drive, I don't currently watch TV (hopefully we'll get a satellite dish before the next season of the Shield starts...).

RR
- Richelieu