Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: badelberg <badelberg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:05:33 -0000

I am new to the forum and just catching up on previous threads. This topic is one I have agonized over for a long time. The flexability of the affinitiy system lends itself to GM fiat by interpretation. Now some people are fine with this, but this becomes just Roleplaying, rather than a Roleplaying Game.

The important things for me with this is consistancy and fairness. When faced with a player wanting to use a feat or affinity in a situation is there an existing rule which can simulate the effect. Augmentation is usually the most obvious. Using victory APs to reduce skill is interesting.

I also dont take the HW rules as absolute but more as a guideline to rule system. For example I noticed many feats lend themselves to a one time affect. I allow for players to take an agumentation roll with out taking a unrelated action when the augmentation only affects the next roll.

Finally I think there need to be guidlines on what the level of an affinity means. I have not completly worked this out but it seems that either the opposition skill or the required victory level should depend on the amount of un-realty your trying to create. The un-reality levels I have thought of have to do with probability.

Performing a feat that would have been doable with out magic you just seem to be lucky at doing it would be the lowest level. Using an afinity for agumentation is usually this. An example would be a farmer using his farming afinity each day before work, his crops always seem to be little bit sweeter and harvest a little bit larger than his neighbor.

A second level would be something doable but just seems highly unlikely. For example someone with an animal affinity, though never seeing a camel before seems to be able to ride one.

A third level would be theoreticly possible but beyond belief. Being able to make the lighting of a thunder storm strike where you choose.

The final level would be out and out imposible, making something from nothing, teleporting, changing shape, flying(?).