Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: badelberg <badelberg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:58:55 -0000

> That's certainly one way to do it, but remember that affinities
> are _very_ expensive, they cost 3 HP to raise by one point, and
> should therefore give good value to the character. What's the
> point of having a magical ability if you can't do anything realy
> amazing and, well, magical with it?
>
> > The final level would be out and out imposible, making something
> > from nothing, teleporting, changing shape, flying(?).
>
> I don't see why these must be innately very, very hard to do. If
> you have flying magic, what use is itt if you can't use it
> to fly with at fairly low levels?
>
> The problem is of course, you won't be able to fly very well.
> However I think a character with something like Sky Walking
> (perhaps a personal power put in the character's writeup) should
> at least be able to get off the ground and hover a bit on
> beating the default difficulty of 14 for magical abilities.
> Have a look at the 'levels of vicotry' table and decide whether
> a particular task might require a marginal, minor, major or
> complete victory. Setting a required victory level can be
> another good way to make things tougher to do complex or
> sdifficult tasks without having to ramp up the resistance
> numbers. Just remember to make this clear before the roll, and
> be aware that players do have Hero Points.
>
> Hero Wars, and Hero Quest are games about mythic, magical
> adventure so I don't think you should be afraid to let your
> players do cool stuff and have fun.

I thought I already responded to this so excuse me if this response shows up twice.

One problem with this is the HW has no concept of difficulty or level of a feat. Take for example Sword Help and Killing Rain, simple interpretation would imply one makes you use a sword a little better while the other could be used to kill an army. Yet these feats cost the same number of hero points.

I like to also analyze how magic would affect society. If learning to fly is only slightly harder than learning to ride a horse why would anyone still be riding horses?

I think your statement that they could not fly well is closer to the point. I would assume that low levels of the fly feat could be used for sudden gusts of wind that might catch a falling player, make a leap really long, or blow the player about in a random fashion. This sort of thing is harder to do with Solar flight since there is no way to interpret levitating in a sun beam as anything but pure magic.

Some of this has to do with play style. I like a world where a lot of the magic effect is subtle. Where a non-believer could travel with an Orlanthi initiate and convince themselves that Orlanth is not really doing anything. Its only when really heroic levels of magic are encountered where the magic can not be denied.