Re: Re: Question on affinities (subject title changed)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:11:20 +0100

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 07:14:31PM -0000, badelberg wrote:
> The problem is HW feats have no concept of difficulty built into
> them. Many of the feats describe almost mundane abilities and others
> earth shattering abilities, but they all cost the same.

For the most part, yes, it's true to say the idea of difficulty isn't _built in_ to the feat; but it is present, at least implicitly, as it's up the GM to assess appropriate resistances and modifiers for the effect being attmpted.

> I like to weigh what the affects of magic would have on society. If
> learning to fly is only a little harder than learning to ride a horse
> why doesn't everybody fly.

There are two ways of looking at this (choose or combine to taste). The first is to assess relative difficulties as you've suggested, in some more, or less, systematic basis. The second is that the GM state of affairs that they cost the same number of HPs is _not_ intended to be a statement that they are equally 'easy' or 'likely' in the game world, necessarily; rather, it's simply that's the 'cost' being exacted for having a hero with that particular ability, in the context of the story being told.

Cheers,
Alex.