Re: An opportunity to sort out Mysticism.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:39:44 -0000

> So I would imagine Tarumathic Orlanthi to be similar to Orlanthi. It
> would be expected that they would still take part in normal worship
> patterns and they would still be essentially theistic. Granted they
> would be a bit odd and may have forgone many of their feats but I
> would expect them to still have affinity style magic if only
a "Mystic
> Storm" affinity.

I'm sure there are Orlanth worshipers who gain mystical insights into their religion and magic, and that this is a normal and accepted thing. Such people are regarded as being a bit strange, but nobody realy equates what they are experiencing and practising with foreign forms of religion. Thier friends, relatives and acquaintances don't know that the mysticaly enlightened Orlanthi's religious insight is called mysticism, and has any relationship with the mysticism of the Lunar or Eastern religions. They also probably don't use the term 'Tarumathic', since that has a particular historical and geographical context. Tarumathic worship may have orriginated spontaneously, but it became an established religious tradition before being wiped out (so fra as I can remember)

I'm talking in generalities of course. Some people might make such connections, but they won't necesserily be obvious. Mystical experiences are by their nature very personal, and especialy if they occur outside a mystical tradition, will vary enormously from case to case.

Simon Hibbs