Re: Slave bracelets

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:45:30 +0100

Antonio �lvarez del Cuvillo wrote:
> Any ideas for slave bracelets/collars in HW/HQ rules?

One of my HW/HQ maxims is 'no special rules'. So I'd decide how to use the existing rules to model Slave Bracelets. A preference of mine is to use ability ratings whenever possible.

What does a Slave Bracelet do? Essentially, it makes it easier for the slaver to control the slave, that is, to make the slave do their bidding. In HW/HQ, making other people do things is usually a contest in which a Relationship ability is used. A Relationship ability does not imply equality; one of the HQ abilities is 'Leader of Followers', which might be used for commanding employees, so why not slaves too?

You could have a separate 'Control Slaves' ability, which could cover coercion, brain washing, fairness (the skilled slaves of the Lunar urban elite might actually be better off as slaves) and magical control. If you think Slave Bracelets are powerful and reliable, that implies a slaver using them has a large Control Slaves ability.

If you didn't want to combine all those factors, you could have a Slave Bracelets magic ability and use that in contests (perhaps as an augmentation) when controlling slaves was important.

If a player character is wearing one, you could model it as an ability that is a flaw ('Must... control... urge... to.. surrender...')