Re: Cancelling Materies with multiple opponents

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:41:51 -0700

> Harald faces three villains in an extended context (say, a combat).
> Harald's Close Combat is 5W2.
> The Villains: V1=10W, V2=5W, V3=19.

>Three opponents implies a penalty of -6 to Harald.

Actually, they give him a -4. The first opponent is "free" - the penalties only acrue with opponents two and on (assuming Harald has no followers, that is). So in the rest of this letter I'll assume Harald has 3w2, not 5w2. ...

> If we apply mastery cancellation, I think there is a problem, if I
> have understood correctly.
>
> Harald 19
> V1 10
> V2 5
> V3 19?, 0?, -1???

19.

The Number in the rating doesn't change, what changes is the ability to get (a) bump(s). If there wasn't two other people, and Harald was only facing V3, there would be no mastery cancellation, but there would be no penalty to V3 (other than getting two bumps against him).

Also, this example of yours will only occur when Harald attacks all three opponents with his action. However, he can decide to attack only one or two of his opponents. He is not forced to attack all three for his action.

When *they* attack *him*, the first one would attack with no penalty to Harald, the second would give him a -2 penalty, and the third would give him a -4. And mastery cancellation would be on a case-by-case basis. So assuming they attacked in the order shown above (and that Harald has an original rating of 3w2, not 5w2), it would be:

Harald: 3w vrs V1: 10
Harald: 1w vrs V2: 5
Harald: 19w vrs V3: 19.

RR