Re: Cancelling Materies with multiple opponents

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:51:01 -0000

> Also, this example of yours will only occur when Harald attacks
>all three opponents with his action.

Exactly, this is the premise of my question. My players like to do that kind of things (is pretty damn heroic isn't it? ;-) and probably some major villains with good statistics and hero points would do the same.

> > Harald 19
> > V1 10
> > V2 5
> > V3 19?, 0?, -1???
>
> 19.
>
> The Number in the rating doesn't change, what changes is the
>ability to get (a) bump(s).

So, perhaps I'm a victim of the simulationist virus ;-), but this is my problem (if I didn't missed something):

V3 is "better" than V1 and V2, because masteries are already cancealed. But V3 is really a bad fighter (19), comparing with V1 (10W). I could imagine some contextual explanations to the abstract values, but, in fact, it seems to me a bit 'unfair', specially if V1, V2 and V3 are PC's.

If Fjord's target number is 16W and he likes to attack multiple opponents in the same hit, it's better for him a group of

V1= 10W; V2= 10W (mastery cancellation: Fjord 16, V1= 10, V2=10)

than a group of

V1= 10W; V2= 16 (mastery cancellation: Fjord 16, V1=10, V2=16)

It seems to be incoherent. The better is your enemy, the better for you.

For that reason, my quick decision in the game was 'not cancelling masteries' in those cases. I would like to know if I have understood the rule correctly and if the decision of 'not cancelling masteries' has some negative effects.

Regards,

Antonio