help for a beginner on extended rules

From: op_mark_ellis <mark.ellis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:35:23 -0000

Hi guys and girls,

I'm trying to (finally) completely understand the Hero Wars system. I have Hero Quest comming to me on order and hopefully this helps me understand the rules but I sti;ll am a little cinfused. I'm trying to get a handle on things but I'm a little confused about the extended contest rules when related to combat which is not a straight forward 'toe to toe' go for each other with the same type of skill examples. I have checked the old archives and understand the basics, but how would yiu deal with the following actions ?

P.S. I hope there are some extra exmaples in the HeroQuest book or I would recomend some extra ones be added to this groups files. I really like the idea/concepts of a system but I'm still a little confused compared to the 'normal' style of games.

P.S. I know I have not got to the complex stuff of like magic yet ... ;-)

  1. If a significant combat starts, with say a charge of the hero's (Players) against a group of bowmen how would you run that ? What kind of skills would you use to start the AP totals and when would you judge the hero's getting to the bowmen so they can engage in Hand to hand combat ? Would this be as a concept of a AP total or a number of contests rounds ?

or

Would you view this as a simple context of bows vs combat/shield skill - to manage get into combat ? I could see that more in a different setting where way the hero's opponents had automatic weapons...

2) If a hero (a player) has a major NPC on the run and draws his bow to shot a major NPC is this an extended contest or a simple one ? If simple then how do you judge the combat results and if complex how is this described to/by the players ?

3) If in the middle of a 'straight/normal' combat one of the players wants their character to taunt an opponent into making a mistake or throw sand in their eye's etc. Is this a simple contest in the middle of the extended one (and if sucessfull this provides edges for the extended completion which is rolled straight after the simple one) ? Would the principle be the same if instead of verbal taunts the player decided to use Erol Flin style acrobatics to help in the combat? or am I missing something here

Well that's enough questions for now, and thanks in advance for any answers.

Mark