Missaplied Worship and Uz

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:46:34 -0700

orlanthumathi <mailto:anti.spam_at_...> wrote:

> This whole debate, and I have to apologise to Greg and Martin for
> bending their ears on the matter, leads me to look across the deities
> of Glorantha and wonder which others could more easily fit with common
> magic, and how many of those listed as exceptions to the misapplied
> worship rule (Kigor Litor, Storm Bull) could not be smoothed away with
> a bit of work and polish.

I agree in general. But as far as Kyger Litor goes, there's another precedent in the new HeroQuest--the Lunars. A Lunar can concentrate his magic in the Lunar belief system, and thus can (e.g.) worship the theistic Natha while keeping *Lunar* charms and spells--he just can't have any non-Lunar magic.

So I'd suggest that possibly, the Uz can concentrate their magic in the "Circle of Eight". They'd get the benefit of concentrated magic provided they limited themselves to the C08 cults (mainly theistic and animistic, but there could be wizardly herocults)--but they wouldn't be able to get magic outside the circle, even from Trollish gods like Argan Argar, Xiola Umbar, etc. Trolls who want to join cults outside the Circle have to either concentrate their magic in the appropriate school, or pay the double costs.

Another possibility is to treat the Underworld as a magical realm all its own. Trolls can concentrate their magic in the Underworld, and thus use magic from any Hellish source (Co8, Zorak Zoran, Xiola Umbar, etc.), but no surface magic from any source. This would let Zoraki concentrate their magic and still use the fire spirits. (...but do we really want to give Zoraki that advantage?)

Mind you, I haven't finished reading HQ yet, so perhaps something in their contradicts me...