Re: House Rule for extended contests

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:01:08 -0000

Who has "Defend vs Swinging Mast" skill? Or "Attack: Masts" for that matter. Probably none of them so they are going to improvise them anyway, so you can get the same effect via the improvises, -5 to the originator and -10 to the target etc. Or if they have no appropriate skill then push them all the way down to 14 default resistance.

Adding values can cause Mastery changes which can have unfortunate results.

Of course a "Dodge" skill would be quite useful, so you wouldnt swing masts at people with Dodge skills... but you have to do it once to find out.

However I do agree, my players rarely stray from their highest skill rating, despite my efforts at dropping hints. And consequently dont improve the secondary skills as much. I suppose I should start making custom bad guys with strange and bizarre skills to point the feature out to them...Old Jake the Pirate attacks your foot suddenly with his PegLeg whilst his Parrot "Pieces of Eight" cries "You wont expect this one ya land lubber!" to distract you...

Actually that raises another question, combining more than one action or different types of actions, using separate skills... do people use this? Multiple skill rolls?