Help with Practitioners

From: drpachyderm <dunlaing_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:50:43 -0000

Hi,

Can someone please help me with how to handle Practitioners?

My friends and I started our HeroQuest campaign this past Friday with character creation and a quick romp through Fish Rain (even though almost al of them weren't completely finished with character creation). I had a real problem with how to handle practitioners though.

What do they get in terms of magic?

It looks like (in the beginning of the book) they get one of each practice spirit listed in the Practice keyword. So if they choose a practice with one spirit, they get one fetish? If they choose a practice with 5 or 6 spirits, they get 5 or 6 fetishes? Is that right?

Also, in order to join a Practice, you have to be a member of a Tradition, so do they also get that keyword and 5 charms from the tradition?

It looked to me like the total amount of magic they started with was:

5 common magic charms at 17 (fully usable and raisable)

5 tradition charms (usable only as augments and not raisable)

1-6 (depending on practice) practice fetishes (fully usable but not raisable)

Is that right?

Also, it says that their Narrator will assign ability ratings for the spirits. Well, that's me (I'm their Narrator). Is there any guidance anywhere on what sorts of ability ratings to assign?

Thank you.