Re: Re: Question about non-humans and Puma People

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:03:55 +0100

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 03:19:17PM -0000, Jeff wrote:
> No. Its not a talent. Its just 'something they can do.' As it says,
> its "Special Puma People Magic." Mr. Puma can still shapeshift even
> during the heroquest after he's become a wizard using type.

How it describes it is as innate magic; every reference I can find implies talent is _synonymous_ with innate magic; their index and glossary entries mutually cross-reference, even.

> I think that forcing players to give up the things that make their
> characters interesting its not really MGF...
>
> To give up shapeshifting would mean they aren't a puma person anymore.

I think the watchword here is "use a bit of common when it comes to applying the magic concentration rules". (Sense, that is, not magic.) Personally I think I'll be interpretting conc. in the 'otherworld systems' as _not_ requiring giving up talents, other than in cases where it's specifically incompatible with the particular religion the character is in, or if the player is outright 'trying it on' with what they're trying to pass off as a talent. (Then again, you have much the same issue anyway, with the thing they're concentrated in.)

Cheers,
Alex.