Re: Self-sacrifice contests: successful but wounded

From: drpachyderm <dunlaing_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:26:35 -0000

> Hi all,

> I've been thinking about situations where the hero can succeed but

> still be injured or suffer a drawback, and mechanics for handling

> such situations. I'd be delighted to hear how people have solved it

> mechanically.

> SITUATION

> Argol tries to rescue his sister from a burning building.

> Running into burning buildings is dangerous business. And, unless he

> has some really nifty magic to withstand fire, he's gonna suffer,

> even if he succeeds.

> SIMPLE CONTEST
<snip because I don't have any comments or suggestions>

> EXTENDED CONTEST

> Argol wants to rescue his sister. The fire doesn't want anything; it

> just burns. So, Argol needs to reduce the AP of the resistance, and

> he's the only one acting; his initiatives are aimed at finding and

> then rescuing his sister. The fire doesn't take any "initiatives".

> Instead Argol needs to resist the fire's burning every round,

> resolved as a simple contest; if the fire wins, Argol is wounded.

> Alternatively, Argol simply gets a wound level at the end of every

> round.

This just seems like a normal extended contest to me. The fire is taking "initiatives", it's just using them for Unrelated Actions of Burn Argol.

Another way to do it would be to have the fire use its Burn Argol ability as regular AP bids, but always bid 14 and inflict a Hurt with every success. (the 14 is so you can inflict a hurt even if you get a 1/2 bid result). That way, Argol (assuming he succeeds) will have a lot of hurts, but not be Impaired or even Injured.