Re: common magic vs. worshipping guardians

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:13:41 -0400

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 01:23 PM, BEThexton wrote:

> Poking around the various permutations and combinations of HQ heroes
> and magic again, another issue for list discussion.
>
> In the sections on common magic, it states (page 104) that "Common
> feats, charms, and spells originate with Otherworld entities native
> to the mortal World. While these entities might have dedicated
> worshippers to whom they grant specialized magic, some people worship
> them in a communal or propitiatory manner, and in return learn a
> feat, charm, or spell that works as described above when learned as
> common magic."  Later on in the same paragraph "Limitations described
> in the theism, animism, or wizardry chapters usually apply as well.
> Thus, a common magic spell requires a talisman."
>
> In the section on common magic abilities, it seems that once you have
> them, they are always accessible to you.  Therefore, your "confuse
> opponent" spell from the Curbside Society in Esrolia will work as
> often as you want, wherever you want.  It doesn't explicitly state
> this that I can see, but it talks about being able to augment
> whenever you use an appropriate ability, and mentions no other
> limitations.
>
> On the other hand, when you get into the theistic, spirit, or
> essential landscape chapters, gaining magic of the appropriate kind
> becomes much more limited.  Spells can only be used once between
> venerating the source.  Charms and feats are only effective close to
> the spirit they are obtained from.  This is spelled out clearly in
> the "worshipping guardians" section on page 94.  In addition,
> worshipping them this way weakens their ability as a guardian.

You are essentially correct in everything you write but are making a comparison that is like comparing apples to oranges. The difference is in the source of the magic. A guardian is generally much weaker than a being that is the focus of a common magic religion. Donandar is not confined to a single area while the hill daimon is.

Camo