Re: House Rule for extended contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:06:33 -0700

Chris

>So here's my simple house rule for that. If you undertake any
>action that makes tactical sense or is especially cinematically
>appropriate during an extended contest, you can receive a +5 to
>+10 bonus for that roll only.

The Narrator is always free to assign bonuses/penalties, so technically this isn't even a house rule! But if you want to have a cinematic game, it's worth reminding players that you will reward such actions appropriately.

The other thing one could do is make sure to require a new ability for the defender -- they might not have a good defense against a swinging mast.

>However I do agree, my players rarely stray from their highest skill
>rating, despite my efforts at dropping hints. And consequently dont
>improve the secondary skills as much.

It can be hard to balance, but people tend to raise secondary abilities more when they have plentiful hero points (the first few always go to the favorite ability, and the next batch go into the reserve to save you in combat). I suppose one could always award HP specifically designated to raising skills that aren't among your 3 best.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html