Starting ability scores

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:04:21 -0000

I generally love the hero wars/hero quest character generation system. "Just make a list or write a 100 words describing the hero." Simple, brilliant, flexible.

But then putting numbers to those scores....well, I could rant on in detail about _why_ I think the scoring system is messed up, but I imagine that most of the people who would read it get the concept anyway: unique abilities that are actually at a useful level are a good thing, and you shouldn't be penalized in power level for having such.

What I really want to ask is, does anyone have a different house rule for starting scores, or have a suggestion for one?

The simplest possible approach would probably be to start everything at 17. On the other hand, it does make things interesting to have stronger and weaker abilities, so I'd love to hear some other suggestions.

Regards;

Bryan