Re: Starting ability scores

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:10:46 +0000

Hi!

>What I really want to ask is, does anyone have a different house rule
>for starting scores, or have a suggestion for one?

I tossed around a couple of ideas. First was a simple allow a higher cap on nonkeyword  abilities (i.e. allow up to 15 or 20 to be spent instead of the listed 10). The second was to give some sort of bonus to points spent on non-keyword abilities. For instance, for every 2 points spent to increase a non-keyword ability, the ability increases by 3.

I thought about increasing the starting score for non-keywords and even thought about making it higher than keywords. However, I actually like them starting lower. Those abilities from your narrative or your list are what set you apart from the next warrior/Heortling/initiate of Rufelza. It doesn't mean you're necessarily better at them than the staple abilities from your keywords. Chances are, your character is using those keyword abilities in his daily life more than most of his other abilities so he probably should be better at the keyword stuff. I do like the idea, though, of giving a player the option of specializing in one of those unique skills.

Camo