Re: Question about non-humans and Puma People

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 06:34:37 -0000

Comrades!

I don't read this list as often as I might, but I've been quite saddened on reading this thread this morning.

  1. I defy anyone writing 280 pages of rules to do so without creating the slightest ambiguity, especially when you are also trying to keep them readable and interesting. Yes, there is a slight ambiguity in the Puma People shapechanging ability, but is it really worth so much attention (and, it seemed to me, rancour)? It is not covered by the common magic rules. Pretend that is written in the PP homeland and move on. While the Gloranthan tribe is often wonderfully uplifting in its enthusiasm, imagination and creativity, at times I feel there can be a descent into obsessive nit-picking that seems destined to suck the life out of what is, let's not forget, a game.
  2. Don't like something? Change it. I think this is something that is pretty clearly enshrined within HQ: the story, MGF and the narrator's and players' interests take precedence over the words on the page. (I don't follow the rules exactly as per the book, and I was one of the people writing it.) That said, I have far more time for people who say 'this is how I run it' rather than 'this is how it ought to have been written'...
  3. Dave Camo has been doing a great job trying to field questions and generally act as a human FAQ, as well as feeding stuff back to II to go into the official FAQ. As he writes, he was lead playtester as well as contributing to and content editing HQ: if anyone was curious about his role, they only needed to look in the book's credits. Maybe this is just Monday-morning sensitivity, but I can't help feel that in some cases he is being treated as a target for doing this, and I think a little more credit is due to him for his activities.

Personally, what I love about this group is the creative use and exploration of the rules, from their use in other milieux to alternative ways of creating characters. Sometimes, though, it is important to remember that it is just about fun...

All the best

Mark