Re: Actual Play

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:06:36 +0000

Hi!

>Some thoughts (none of which are intended to cause rancor):

:-)

>* I think I may have given the Practitioners' spirit allies and
>fetishes high ability ratings. With the fact that they could release
>the fetishes and add the value to their own abilities, the
>Practitioners were able to outclass the other characters. This is
>mitigated by only being able to use the fetishes once per adventure,
>but that means the Practitioners will always shine at the most
>important point of the story. Again, I think this is due to me
>over-rating their spirits, not necessarily a flaw in the game or
>anything.

This did come up during playtesting. Once the players realized, though, how limiting the once-per-adventure bonus is, they were more careful with its use: 1) How do they know that they're at the most important point of the story? 2) Once the spirit is released from the fetish, they no longer get the "lucky charm" automatic augment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very powerful effect to be able to add the spirit's ability to your own. However, that one use really does limit.

Style of play, I think, can make a huge difference. A narrator who tends to have one climax and that's it will have animists saving their fetishes for that one situation. However, sprinkling some 'cliffhanger' type moments throughout the scenario will cause them to think more about fetish use.

>* My players always want to play different types of magic. I never end
>up with all Theists or all Animists. I'm going to need to figure out
>how to accomodate them all if I want to run Heroquests.

Yeah, it can be tough. I tried to run HQs based on who showed up that night :-)

>* The PCs captured the Heroformer. I thought it might be cool to run a
>Heroquest where they bring their captive with them and he plays the
>role of Heracles. It seems like an interesting thing to do with a
>captive, force him into a heroquest in the hopes that his injuries
>will make him do poorly and thus give you an advantage. I'm not sure
>if I should allow people to be forced into Heroquests though.
>Opinions?

Well, it has happened and, I think, happens often (relative to the number of HQs performed). I'll have to see if I can find any specific sources.

Camo