Re: Actual Play

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:08:46 -0400

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 07:47 PM, Benedict Adamson wrote:

> DaveCamo_at_... wrote:
> > Once the players realized, though, how
> > limiting the once-per-adventure bonus is, they were more careful
> with its use:
> > 1) How do they know that they're at the most important point of the
> story?
>
> The following heuristic serves well:
> If it's an Extended Contest, it must be the most important part of the
> story.

I must run longer scenarios. It's rare that a scenario is finished in less than 3 sessions (and no, not because there are so many extended contests! :-) )

> > Style of play, I think, can make a huge difference. A narrator who
> tends to
> > have one climax and that's it will have animists saving their
> fetishes for that
> > one situation. However, sprinkling some 'cliffhanger' type moments
> throughout
> > the scenario will cause them to think more about fetish use.
>
> We've found that more than one Extended Contest per scenario tends to
> bog down play, rather than create intermediate cliffhangers.

For me, I'd amend that to more than one per session. I try to end each session with something exciting to make the anticipation for the next session that much higher.

Camo