Re: Re: Actual Play

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:59:44 -0700

> I was thinking specifically of something that happened
> a while back in the Swords campaign.
>
> Chronicles are here:
> http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/swords/Public/cradle3.htm#message28
>
> Precis: there we were on the Cradle, all Humakti, and
> we find out that twit Garrath's hired a ZZ Death Lord
> as well. One we've already got oaths to kill. We're
> not allowed to fight him on the Cradle, we can't leave
> him alive, we can't abandon ship. And he feels the
> same way about us. But there's a HQ we were
> considering that has the main enemy as the Darkness
> Tribe, so...

Hmm, well, keeping in mind the First Rule (Your Glorantha *Will* Vary), I would say that you can't *force* someone into your HQ unless they are already in the GodPlane themselves or somehow magically/ritually "charged" (ie, you can ambush or attack someone on the godplane, but you can't "suck him in" from the Mortal world willy-nilly). He has to be at least pre-disposed to being your oppponent, cf. the HeroQuest Challenge text about not forcing a HQC on an unsuspecting person.

>From my reading of the game narrative (very nice by the way; need another
player?), the HQC was for "Relationship: War Ring of Cradle Defenders" and Aelfwrd was risking his own life; against Barefang's (unstated) desire and bid. I assume that Barefang knew that Aelfwyrd and his buddies were aboard and was planning his own little payback on them anyway, making him susceptible to Heroquest suck-in and Challenge. The Lunars were in a highly energized magical field, so the transition to the Otherside was perfectly natural for them (yeah, that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-) ). They might have even gone through their own rituals and Quests to strengthen their powers. There was no HQChallenge with the Lunars, just a standard bash-em, smash-em fight.

That's how I read it, anyway...

RR
- Richelieu