Re: Actual Play

From: drpachyderm <dunlaing_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:20:12 -0000

> I'd be leery of allowing players to take their own enemies into the
otherworld/godplane, unless the myth being enacted specifies that the Hero brought his enemy along with him on his journey, which is probably pretty rare as a myth-type, except for one major example - "Okay Heracles-guy, you're going to take the part of Eurmal..." The enemy will probably try to disrupt the quest form the very beginning - I'd give penalties to trying to Cross Over (it probably won't be enough to prevent the crossing over if the Heroes have lots of community support behind them).

> If the Myth specifies that the Hero "met" his enemy, then dragging
that enemy along from the beginning is myth-breaking, and something *will* go wrong - You'll probably meet with the "real" enemy at full strength during your journey (as well as certain events not taking place, or events taking place that aren't in the myth). You're straying into the "Make your own Myth" territory of Arkat or Harrek.

Where do myths begin?

I mean, the Heroquest chapter talks about being able to end a Heroquest prematurely and even the possibility of a Heroquest going longer than you expect. Is it possible to come in at a different point? Consider the following:

Heracles is sleeping the sleep of the drunk next to a mountain stream when a Giant Spider comes upon him. The Giant Spider drops on him from a tree, binding him in her webs and carrying him off...

Assuming you intend to be the Giant Spider, can you start the Heroquest at the point where Heracles is already bound and you're carrying him off?