Re: Actual Play

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:15:12 -0000

> I mean, the Heroquest chapter talks about being able to end a
> Heroquest prematurely and even the possibility of a Heroquest going
> longer than you expect. ...

You can do part of a quest, but you have to find some way to get to the part you want to do. For example you might not want to do the whole Lightbringer's Quest, but just the bit after Orlanth entered the Gates of Dusk. To do that you need to get to the Gates of Dusk somehow. You don't have to do it the way it's done in (various versions of) the LBQ, and there are much easier ways. However there are parts of the Full LBQ you couldn't do, because the ways Orlanth got to the gates of dusk are significant later in the quest.

> Heracles is sleeping the sleep of the drunk next to a mountain
stream
> when a Giant Spider comes upon him. The Giant Spider drops on him
from
> a tree, binding him in her webs and carrying him off...
>
> Assuming you intend to be the Giant Spider, can you start the
> Heroquest at the point where Heracles is already bound and you're
> carrying him off?

Where do you get your 'heracles bound up in spider silk' from? He has to come from somewhere, as does the silk. You could do this by taking a pre-spider-silk-bound heracles with you on the quest, but you can't just assume one will appear out of thin air just to suit you. If you got anything at all, chances are it would be someone, or something else bound up in spider silk. Or the spider that actualy bound heracles (or whatever it turns out to be) up in silk (after all, it obviously wasn't you), might turn up and call you thief, or something else equaly horrible and unexpected might happen.

Simon Hibbs