How to treat awakened objects

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:57:28 -0000

This isn't really an HQ question, other than that some of the new HQ rules may guide the answers. It actually dates back to Thuner Rebels.

The secret of some of the craft cults is to awaken the daimone of the object they are making. But what does that daimone do?

One answer is: they are rare enough the narrator can just follow the needs of the story.

Another is that they have one ability, named after the object, so "cup 17" or "boat 15" and they use it only to resist anything that would stop the object from being what it is. I.E. the cup daimone would keep the cup from being broken, the boat daimone would also keep the boat from sinking, because boats are supposed to float.

Another is to say they have one ability, and a might, and they of course use that might to magically defend the object, but the ability may or may not be useful in defending against mundane problems. Therefore the cup may have "detect poison 17," but is still easy to break. The boat's ability might be specified as "stay afloat 153" so it resists sinking of any kind, and magical attacks, but is of no help if someone takes an axe to it.

Any comments, thoughts, other ideas? If it matters, I'm mostly thinking of how to treat an awakened object as a retainer. I'd really love to be able to specify a gloomy boat, a snobbish cup, or whatever, but I don't see that working out, rules-wise.

Regards;

Bryan