RE: liturgists like it small!

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:50:22 +0200

At 17:53 2003-09-19 +0100, Nick Brooke wrote:
>Peter Larsen writes well about Western worship services. But I thought
>HeroQuest was meant to avoid all this number-crunching and hand-waving?
>
>It seems simplest to me for the "big congregation" bonus and penalty to
>cancel each other out, whenever liturgists bless their flocks.

Yes, that would be simpler.
But I think that it would be nice if that is true when the ceremony is held in an appropriate church, but perhaps not in the field. Why? Because it makes the parish need the church or cathedral. If it makes no difference whether the congregation has a church or not, why would the laity bother with it? The liturgist may as well bless them all in the field.

If we let the congregation size modifiers cancel out only for ceremonies held in a well-built consecrated church we give not only the preacher, but the whole parish, a good solid reason to build a church. It becomes a very important matter for the whole community. And I suppose we want that, don't we?

An alternative is of ourse to give a solid extra bonus for the blessings while given in a church. But it seems to me that the normal case should be to hold the ceremony in a church, and that that should be the norm where fewer modifications are applicable.

--
Henrix